3 RECIPES TODAY!
So in usual Mitchell fashion, I bit off a little more than I could chew with this dinner. I wanted to make a nice little spread of food for my friends Marley and Erin who were coming over. I ended up needing their help to get everything done, and we ended up eating really late.
I think my mom and I both agree that this homemade Naan will be made frequently in this house. The clarified butter that we spread on the Naan gives it an amazing flavor especially with the black pepper chicken.
Mustard seeds are dangerous; they become fireworks if you put them in oil that is too hot (that’s what I did the first time). This black pepper chicken recipe should REALLY be cooked on a low heat once you start adding the spices. It ended up being just the right amount of spicy and tasted really amazing.
The chicken skewers were pretty good but probably could have marinated a bit longer because I didn’t really taste the lime. But it was a nice contrast to the spicy chicken. Grilled mango is also great as long as the mango isn’t too mushy when you put it on the skewer.
Recipe for Naan
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 oz dry yeast (1 envelope)
1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/4 cup flour plus more as needed
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil plus more
1/4 cup milk
3 tbsp clarified butter
Put the warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast and sugar, and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture becomes foamy. In the meantime, sift together the flour and salt. In a separated bowl, lightly whisk together the milk, olive oil and the egg. When the yeast is ready, add the milk mixture. With the mixer in low speed, slowly add the flour and salt. Mix for 5 minutes. Flour a working surface and knead the dough with your hands adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking, knead for 5 minutes more. Oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat, cover and let it rest for one and half hour or until the dough has double in size. Divide the dough in 60g pieces, roll into balls. Let them rest for 20 minutes. In the meantime, heat a cast iron skillet and lightly oil it. Flour a working surface and roll the dough with a rolling pin. Cook the bread in the skillet (about a minute on each side). Immediately, brush each bread (both sides) with butter and wrap them with a kitchen towel to keep it warm ad soft.
Sinfully Spicy Recipe
Murgh KaliMirch –BlackPepper Chicken
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2″ cubes
- For garnish – chopped cilantro, scallions
- Fresh lemon/lime juice (to taste)
To marinate :-
- 2 tbsp thick plain yogurt- I used soy yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon/lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2″ fresh ginger root, minced
- 1.5 tbsp black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For tempering :-
- 2 tbsp mustard oil (substitute with sunflower/vegetable/canola oil)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 Serrano chillies, chopped (adjust to tolerance)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt (to adjust)
Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients listed for 20 minutes, refrigerated. Once ready to cook, take out the marinated chicken from the refrigerator & let sit on countertop.
In a thick bottomed, wide-mouthed pan, heat up the oil on high.If using mustard oil, heat it to a point when it’s slightly smoky.For other oils, heat up till you see ripples on the surface. Meanwhile, using a mortar & pestle, coarsely grind the coriander & cumin.Once the oil is heated, reduce the heat to medium & wait for 2 minutes. Add the mustard seeds & let them crackle.About 10-15 seconds. Also, add the chillies next & let them crisp up for another 10-15 seconds. Tip :- Be extra careful, mustard seeds & chillies splutter a lot when added to oil.
Next, add the coarsely ground spices to the oil & stir for about 30-35 seconds or till you smell the aroma. Start adding marinated chicken 5-6 pieces at a time to the pan and stir-fry over high heat for few minutes, tossing continuously.Repeat with another batch of chicken pieces. The idea is to lightly brown the outside of the chicken but still keep it juicy inside.Lower the heat once all the chicken has been added.Add the leftover marinade(if any) & stir frequently. Cook on low heat till the oil separates on the sides of the pan and the chicken is cooked. About 12-15 minutes. You can cover the pan for last 3-4 minutes of cooking. Adjust the salt, toss well and remove.Let sit covered for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Garnish with chopped cilantro or scallions, squeeze fresh lemon juice & serve hot.
- The cooking times will differ depending on the size of chicken pieces and the cut used. If using chicken breasts, the cooking time will be about 6-8 minutes for 2″ cubes.
- If you like dish less hot, de-seed the chillies before you mince them.
Recipe for Mango Chicken Skewers
Joshua Trent Recipe
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes- just 2
- Bell peppers, optional- just 1
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices, and lime juice. Immerse the chicken and mangoes in the mixture and marinate for 2-4 hours, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a hot grill, line the grill with a strip of foil on one end to prevent the bottom of the skewers from burning.
- Take the skewers and alternately place pieces of chicken, mango and peppers.
- Arrange the skewers evenly on the grill. Turn them once while cooking and cook until cooked through and nicely charred. 6-10 minutes. Remove from grill and serve immediately.
You can marinate the mango with the chicken but if you’re marinating a while they may get mushy so feel free to leave them out.